Selecting the best person available for the board chair is crucial to unlocking your board’s true potential.
Here are 10 specific actions that can be undertaken to identify and appoint your board chair:
* Immediately begin to assess the leadership talent of current board members.
* Ask your current board chair to begin as soon as possible to identify potential candidates.
* Institute ongoing board training for all board members.
* Offer the chair-elect a professional board coach/mentor.
* Ensure that the board’s work is done efficiently.
* Find ways to reward and recognize your board members for the job they do.
* Provide opportunities for all board members to participate in a wide array of committees, task forces and advisory boards.
* Highlight the organization’s continuous strides for excellence.
* Recognize former board chairs for their contributions.
* Recognize and address the reasons that appointing a board chair is difficult.
Any additional actions that are important in the chair selection process?