Bible study consists of three primary phases:
- Observation – Ask questions.
- Interpretation – Answer questions.
- Application – Apply answers.
- Observation – What is the context? Who is the writer and what is his audience and goal? Are there any cultural sensitivities I should consider? What is God saying? Do I see myself in the text?
- Interpretation – What do the words mean? What do the original words mean? What is the big idea? What is the main point God, and the author, are trying to convey? Why is this important to this audience at this time?
- Application – Is there a praise to offer, or a practice to consider? So what? How should I respond in the way I think or act? What perspective is challenged? How will living this out change my sphere?
Here are some helpful free online resources/commentaries…